skip to navigationskip to main content

HGV or van drivers – get a coronavirus test

You must take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test before you leave the UK for some countries – check which countries require them and how to get a free test.

You must test negative for coronavirus before you travel from the UK to Denmark, France, Germany or the Netherlands.

Check FCDO travel advice for any country you’re planning to enter here:

You must take the test before you leave the UK. You’ll need to show your certificate of proof of a negative test at the UK and EU border, as well as to the carrier.

You must do this if you’re:

  • a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) driver or HGV crew
  • a van or other light goods vehicle (LGV) driver

It applies to both UK and non-UK drivers. If you test negative, you will get a certificate of proof. You’ll need to show this before you can leave the UK. You can get a free coronavirus test if you’re a professional coach driver who is driving abroad for work. You can either get:

  • a private test from your company (if it has bought them from an authorised test provider)
  • a free coronavirus test at most haulier advice sites

To find a haulier advice site see:

Private providers of coronavirus testing – The lists of and information about approved suppliers of private testing kits for coronavirus (COVID-19) has been recently updated.


Subscribe to our newsletter

Our monthly newsletter contains a round up of the latest tax news and updates of what's happening at Broadbent Accountants and Business Advisors

As a subscriber you will automatically receive our newsletter direct to your inbox

Please read our Privacy Policy before signing up